The latest viral food trend made famous on TikTok are Hot Chocolate Bombs. Here are the details on what they are, where to buy them and how to make them.
- What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
- Where to Buy Hot Chocolate Bombs Canada?
- For Sweet Sakes (Ships across Canada)
- COCO XO Chocolates (Ships across Canada)
- Showcase (Stores: BC, Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland; Ships across Canada)
- Van Isle Cocoa Bombs (Ships across Canada)
- 8 Cakes (Calgary)
- Sweets of Paradise (Calgary)
- Stubbe Chocolates (Toronto, Ontario)
- Costco Canada (Not Confirmed)
- Other retailers online
- How to make a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
- Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
- Where to Buy Hot Chocolate Bomb Molds?
- How do I get a TikTok worthy hot chocolate bomb explosion?
This list is updated as information becomes available. Please reach out to me [email protected] or @foodgressing on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok) for any suggestions.
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot Chocolate Bombs consist of a round chocolate shell stuffed with hot chocolate mix, mini marshmallows and/or other flavour fillings.
You simply drop the chocolate ball into your favourite mug and pour warm milk (or a non-dairy option if you prefer like coconut milk, oat milk or almond milk) over top and watch the bomb dissolve into a warm, luxurious and comforting drink.
To see other peoples' hot chocolate bomb surprises, look up #hotcocoabomb or #hotchocolatebomb on social media.
It's pretty much a bath bomb that you can eat!
Where to Buy Hot Chocolate Bombs Canada?
For Sweet Sakes (Ships across Canada)
Located in Chestermere, Alberta, For Sweet Sakes offers chocolate bombs in a variety of flavours including candy cane, milk chocolate, white chocolate (or pink colour), oreo, s'mores, mocha and salted caramel. They are able to ship across Canada.
COCO XO Chocolates (Ships across Canada)
Toronto-based COCO XO Chocolates is offering Mini Hot Cocoa Bombs which can be shipped across Canada.
The Mini Hot Cocoa Bombs are hand-painted and hand decorated cuties are packaged as a set of six pieces and are available in white hot chocolate, regular hot chocolate, pumpkin spice hot chocolate, or assorted.
The Holiday Mini Hot Cocoa Bombs are all dolled up as little holiday ornaments and come packaged as a set of six pieces. Available in salted caramel hot chocolate, regular hot chocolate, candy cane hot chocolate, or assorted.
Showcase (Stores: BC, Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland; Ships across Canada)
The preorder Hot Chocolate Bombs are tentatively set to ship by FedEx from Toronto in Late November and are priced at $7.99.
Showcase stores are located in BC, Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland.
Van Isle Cocoa Bombs (Ships across Canada)
Van Isle Cocoa Bombs is a new, online retailer dedicated to hot cocoa bombs. They operate out of a commercial kitchen with Island Health Authority approval.
Their line up of cocoa bombs include Milk Cocoa, Dark Cocoa, White Cocoa, Mocha Cocoa, Vegan Cocoa and more.
They are currently offering shipping to BC and Alberta as well as local delivery to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
8 Cakes (Calgary)
Sweets of Paradise (Calgary)
- Classic hot chocolate
- Salted Caramel
- White Chocolate Peppermint
- Cookies and Cream
- Chocolate Peppermint
- Mint Chocolate
- Caramel Machiatto (contains coffee)
- Chocolate Peppermint Mocha (contains coffee)
They operate out of an Alberta Health Services approved commercial kitchen and are also city licensed.
Stubbe Chocolates (Toronto, Ontario)
Stubbe Chocolates in Toronto offers Hot Chocolate Bombs in either dark or milk chocolate shell. It looks like they offer in-store pickup only.
Costco Canada (Not Confirmed)
Costco in the US has been offering Hot Cocoa bombs but it has not been confirmed for nor have been seen in Canadian locations yet. Stay tuned.
Other retailers online
There are other vendors which sell Hot Chocolate Bombs online like on Etsy but please be careful as many of these places might be creating them at home and not in a certified kitchen for food safety.
How to make a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
Here's a very general overview of how to make a hot chocolate bomb.
What you need to make homemade hot chocolate bombs
- Half circle baking molds
- Hot chocolate mix
- Mini marshmallows or whatever filling you want
- Melt chocolate using a microwave until it is smooth.
- Fill the molds by spreading the melted chocolate using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon.
- Chill the chocolate molds in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate is hard.
- Fill one half of the chocolate mold with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows or whatever you fancy.
- Seal the two chocolate molds (the bottom with the filling and the hollow top) together with more melted chocolate.
- Decorate with sprinkles, more chocolate etc.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
Here are some hot chocolate bomb recipes you might like:
- Boulder Locavore - Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Sugar Geek Show - Shiny Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
- I am a food blog - TikTok Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Julie Blanner - Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Gluesticks - How To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Where to Buy Hot Chocolate Bomb Molds?
To make hot chocolate bomb molds, it is suggested to use a "half sphere silicone mold."
You can definitely find them at Walmart, Amazon and other large online retailers.
However, do see if your local gourmet shop or cookware supply shop might have them to support and buy local!
How do I get a TikTok worthy hot chocolate bomb explosion?
Make sure the milk you use is hot and pour slowly over the top of the bomb so that you can watch it unfold.