Playland at the PNE is now open for the 2019 season on weekends. Thrill-seekers can choose from over 35 rides and attractions, including Playland’s most historic and beloved attraction, the Wooden Roller Coaster (rated #1 wooden coaster in Canada) and Canada’s most extreme pendulum ride, The Beast.
9 Fun Facts about the PNE and Playland
- The PNE is celebrating its 109th anniversary (first opened in 1910).
- Over 3 million visitors pass through the gates of the PNE each year.
- Canada’s 7th Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier officially opened the first annual Pacific National Exhibition.
- Playland at the PNE used to be located where the Pacific Coliseum is now.
- “Happyland” is renamed Playland and moves to its current location in 1958.
- The world-famous wooden roller coaster (aka The Coaster) also opens in 1958.
- The Coaster consistently ranks as one of the top wooden roller coasters in the world.
- Admission to Playland allows amusement park goers unlimited access to 35 rides and attractions.
- The PNE is the largest employer of youth in British Columbia.
I attended the opening day yesterday as media. Here are a few photos from my visit.