The Hands-on Cook-off contest returns from April 15th to May 15th and is celebrating its tenth anniversary this spring. The contest promotes the family dinner movement in BC by encouraging participants of all ages to reap the benefits of cooking together, eating together, and most importantly, making lasting memories together in the kitchen.
This contest is a tradition that many BC families look forward to each year, and for good reason: new research shows that families that cook together and share meals on a regular basis experience valuable lifelong benefits, such as improved lifelong dietary intake and healthier overall eating habits, including higher intakes of fruits and vegetables and lower intakes of fast food and takeout meals for both female and male youths in both high-functioning and low-functioning family environments.
This year, the contest theme is memory making in the kitchen, and throughout the month-long contest, we’ll be taking a look back at memorable past entries and celebrating important milestones to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the contest. Highlights include:
- Over 335 video entries submitted since 2010
- Over $35,000 in cash and in-kind prizes awarded since 2010
- Over 45 towns throughout BC have been represented in the contest, including entries from cities as big as Vancouver and Victoria, and as small as Enderby and Castlegar!
Over $4,000 of cash and in-kind prizes will be up for grabs, and all submissions will be judged by a notable panel of celebrity judges including:
- Ned Bell, Ocean Wise Executive Chef and Culinary Director of the Vancouver Club
- David Hawksworth, Chef/Owner of Hawksworth Restaurant Group
- Claire Newell, travel expert and media personality
- Susie Wall, style and entertainment expert
- Samantha Gutmanis, food editor and blogger
HonourableLana Popham, B.C.’s Minister of Agriculture
- Anna Brisco, chef, registered dietitian
For more information, visit www.bettertogetherbc.ca/contest