After months of gloom, sunshine and warm weather has finally arrived! Whether you’re going camping up north or enjoying a picnic with friends, a good crew and good food is key to making get togethers memorable. Tostitos and chef ambassador Chef Robert Belcham want to lend you a hand. Vancouver-based/Canadian Chef Belcham has created a droolworthy Japanese-fusion, west coast-inspired recipe: Salmon Candy with Tostitos!
Using popular BC-inspired ingredients, this original take on traditional nachos can be created on a platter for easy sharing with guests in your backyard, or (by simply cutting open the bag from its side) you can use the Tostitos tortilla chip bag as a bowl if dining al fresco!
These days, every moment with loved ones is worth celebrating. Perfect for toasting to moments of all sizes, the Tostitos line-up of tortilla chips, salsa and dips can be used to create simple and delicious dishes for Canadians to enjoy.
Chef Robert Belcham Salmon Candy with Tostitos®
This nacho recipe uses a fusion of west coast salmon and Japanese flavours for a fun, unique appetizer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4 people as appetizer
- 1 bag of Tostitos® Restaurant Style tortilla chips, placed on its side and cut open the length and opened like a bowl
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 lbs candied salmon
- ½ cup green cabbage, shredded finely
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp tare sauce (teriyaki sauce)
- ½ tsp togarashi Japanese spice blend
- 5 green onions, sliced thinly into rounds
How to Make It
- Make the spicy mayonnaise by combining egg, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, salt and chili garlic sauce in a jar.
- Use an immersion blender to incorporate the ingredients until you have thick creamy sauce.
- Cover and place in the fridge. This mayonnaise can be kept in the fridge for up to a month.
- To make the nachos, sprinkle shredded cabbage onto Tostitos® Restaurant Style tortilla chips. Add candied salmon and as many slices of the pickled jalapeños as you would like on top.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of the spicy mayonnaise and tare (teriyaki sauce) on the tortilla chips and top with toasted sesame seeds, togarashi and sliced green onions.