The breadth of fresh, in-season ingredients available to Canadians is one of the many gifts of our country’s cuisine. To help Canadians celebrate Canada 150, Chef Lynn Crawford – Chef/owner of Ruby Watchco and Loblaw culinary partner – has crafted a delicious selection of recipes that incorporate fresh, seasonal Canadian staples and exciting global flavours to create Canadian-international fusion, a trend identified in Loblaw’s 2017 Canadian Food Trends. With inspiration from both classic Canadian favourites and exciting international cuisine, Canadians need look no further for their summer menu.
Rice Noodle Salad with Grilled Steak and Harrisa Ginger Dressing
Serving Size: 4 people
- 3 Tbsp. (45mL) fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. (45mL) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) tahini
- 1 tsp. (5mL) sugar
- 1 tsp. (5mL) finely grated peeled ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup (125mL) President’s Choice® Liquid Coconut Oil
- 1-2 tsp. (5-10mL) toasted sesame oil
- 8 oz. (250g) President’s Choice® Rice Stick Noodles
- 12 oz. (350g) thinly sliced grilled boneless sirloin steak
- 1 small kohlrabi, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500mL) thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1 cup (250mL) cilantro leaves with tender stems
- ¼ cup (60mL) crushed salted, roasted cashews
- 2 tsp. (10mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Harissa Spice Blend
- Whisk lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini, sugar, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl to combine. Gradually add vegetable oil followed by sesame oil, whisking constantly until emulsified; set aside.
- Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain; rinse under cold water, then drain again.
- Toss noodles, steak, kohlrabi, scallions, cabbage, and cilantro in a large bowl with three-quarters of reserved dressing to combine and evenly coat; season with salt. Top with cashews and Harrisa spice and drizzle remaining dressing over.
- Cover and chill
Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Chili Aioli and Kimchi Slaw
Serving Size: Serves 4
- 1/4 cup (60mL) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. (10mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Peri Peri Spice Blend
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. (30mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. (10mL) chopped fresh ginger
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cups (500mL) buttermilk
- 2 cups (500mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5mL) fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. (2mL) Kosher salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups (1L) corn flakes, crushed
- Peanut or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 white sandwich buns, toasted
- 2 cups (500mL), heaping, finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup (250mL) kimchi, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125mL) matchstick carrots
- 1/4 cup (60mL) mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. (30mL) rice vinegar
Spicy Chili Aioli
- 1/2 cup (125mL) mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Memories of Seoul Gochujang Spicy Chili Sauce
- In a blender, add the soy sauce, cilantro, garlic, sambal, lime juice and ginger; blend until smooth. Place the chicken in a shallow dish and top with the soy sauce mixture. Refrigerate and let marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a medium shallow bowl, mix together the flour, pepper and salt. Place the buttermilk in another shallow bowl; set aside.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 3/4-inch (2cm). Prop deep-fry thermometer in oil so bulb is submerged. Heat over medium heat until thermometer registers 350F (180C).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together the cabbage, kimchi, carrots, mayonnaise and vinegar until well coated; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, garlic and Gochujang; set aside.
- Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, remove it from the marinade and let the excess marinade trip off. Discard marinade. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Dip in egg allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Dredge cornflake mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet.
- Serve the chicken on the buns with Gochujang aioli and kimchi slaw.
Tandoori Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato Burritos
Serving Size: 4-6 people
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Liquid Coconut oil
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½” dice
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4” dice
- 1 red pepper, cut into ½” dice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) grated ginger
- 1 small red chili, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Tandoori Spice Blend
- 1 tsp. (5mL) turmeric
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
- 12 pieces President’s Choice® Tortillas
Minted Cucumber Yogurt (makes 2 cups (500mL))
- 1 cup (250mL) natural yogurt
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and grated
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat add some olive oil and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until just cooked.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Return the pan to the stove and add the sweet potatoes and onion and cook until just soft.
- Add the eggplant and pepper and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chili, curry powder, turmeric and stir together well.
- Return the chicken to the pan and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and mix in chopped cilantro.
- Mix all of ingredients for the minted cucumber yogurt together and season well.
- Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and top with minted cucumber yogurt.
Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade
Serving Size: 6-8 people
- 2/3 cup (150mL) white sugar (superfine is best)
- 2/3 (150mL) cup water
- 1 and 1/2 (350mL) cups fresh blueberries
- 1 (5mL) tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup (250mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice ~4-5 whole large lemons
- 2 cups (500mL) ice cubes
- 3 cups (750mL) sparkling water or club soda
- Combine the sugar, water, blueberries, and lemon zest in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and then simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sugar is melted and blueberries are starting to burst.
- Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve. Let this blueberry syrup completely cool.
- Meanwhile, juice the lemons to get 1 cup (250mL) of lemon juice.
- In a large blender, add the blueberry syrup, lemon juice, and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the sparkling water or club soda.
- Enjoy immediately.