With Canada Day on the horizon and seasonal fruits aplenty, this is a great time to relive a summer classic – sangria! This classic Spanish quencher gets a homemade twist with the addition of made in Canada ingredients.
Rediscover the sangria and make use of the summer months to experiment with different Canadian wines with suggestions from Arterra Wines Canada, the country’s leading producer of award-winning and globally recognized wines.
Some popular white and red Canadian varieties, available in liquor stores across Canada, include:
- Jackson-Triggs Proprietor’s Selection Sauvignon Blanc
Delivers lively notes of gooseberry and lemon – a clean and crisp wine that is a crowd-pleasing addition to any party. ($9.99/750mL)
- Inniskillin Unoaked Chardonnay VQA
Boasts aromas of golden apple, white grapefruit, apricot and under-ripe pineapple – great for those who enjoy an extra fruity kick to their sangria. ($14.45/750mL)
- Inniskillin Pinot Grigio
Features floral and citrus notes with nut flavours. This wine is more neutral than a Sauvingnon Blanc or Chardonnay and will do well with any palate. ($11.99/750mL)
- Jackson-Triggs Proprietor’s Selection Cabernet Sauvignon
A dry red that highlights crisp cassis berry and other dark fruits such as cherries, along with a hint of vanilla. This one is great to toast Canada Day in colour. ($9.99/750mL)
For this recipe you need
- 1 bottle of Canadian wine – like any of the wines above
- ½ bottle of Jackson-Triggs Reserve Sparkling Wine ($15.95/750mL)
- 1 cup of ginger ale
- 2 cups Canadian apple cider – like Growers Premium Dry Cider
- 1 tbsp of Canadian maple syrup
- Assorted red fruit, such as locally grown strawberries – which are currently in season across Canada
Wishing you a Happy Canada Day!